Wednesday

Orvieto, Italy

Saturday, February 26

This Saturday we went to Orvieto. The bus left the train station early in the morning. We were under the impression that the weather was going to be in the 40s and relatively sunny. We were sorely mistaken. It was cold, cloudy, and no bueno. Molly was asked repeatedly if she was cold… just some advice, if you’re cold and the person next to you has on less clothing than you, don’t ask them if they are cold. Chances are they are just as cold if not colder than you and you will undoubtedly look like an ass for pointing it out.

In an attempt to hide from the weather, Maggie, Molly, and I ducked into every café possible during our guided tour. I think we had a total of five cappuccinos that afternoon.




Hopped up on caffeine, we got a little bit loopy in the caves our tour took us to. The guide was telling us all about the thousands of pigeonholes carved into the cave walls. These holes were there so the pigeons would go down into the cave, get comfy in a little hole, and the people would snatch them up and eat them for dinner. Sounds like the pigeons need to step their game up… I’d like to know who has the bright idea to keep hanging out in a cave where everyone keeps getting eaten.

Anyways, I started telling our group that Maggie’s grandmother lives in Puerto Rico and still uses this pigeon hunting method. I’m not sure if our group just doesn’t know me well enough or that the story seemed too bizarre to make up, but they believed every word! Silly ISA students…

Side note, we saw this in the gift shop and thought of the one and only teenage Mr. Louie Lopez.

We also got a little trigger-happy with Molly’s camera and took some of the stupidest looking photos of ourselves to date. I still have enough dignity not to publish them to this blog… which I am SURE is being flooded with visitors.

After the caves, my day took a significant turn for the better...

I SAW CAT’S OTHER ITALIAN COUSIN.

This time, I even got to pet him!

What a purrrrrfect addition to my already fabulous day.

As if that wasn't wonderful enough, we also saw a pack of golden retrievers in the square outside Orvieto’s beautiful duomo.

Molly was especially enthused by the goldens and we had a mini photo shoot!

RIP Cody, so much love.

While waiting for the bus to leave, we decided to grab another unnecessary cappuccino. This cafe had two of those little rides that you put a coin in and they rock back and forth. I decided I wanted to go on one.

Worst decision ever. I sat down, put the coin in, and nothing happened. Convinced it was broken, I stood up.

Wellllllllll, to my surprise, the damn thing starts rocking back and forth. I sit back down. It stops. I get up. It goes.

Needless to say, my ego was bruised and I was full of self-loathing.

On the bright side, it wouldn’t move when my little teacup of a friend Maggie sat on it either... that made me feel a little better.

Whatever kind of cruel weight limit is on that thing needs to be changed. Some of us big kids still like to go on rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment