Tuesday

Daytrip to Viareggio

Saturday, April 2

Sine we’ve gotten back form Spring Break, Florence’s weather has been on point. Most days are sunny and warm with no clouds in the sky. I’ve officially kissed the tights and jackets goodbye! Yeeeee

Taking advantage of the great weather, Maggie Molly, Lindsay, Sara, and I went to the beach for the day. We took the train to Viareggio- about an hour or two ride each way. For only 13 euro round trip, it was quite the bargain too!

On the way to the train station, we spotted Lindsay and Sara “dressed like it was the 4th of July”. They had bathing suits, jean shorts, and summer cover-ups on… the sun was not in full force and it was still chilly. People around them were in jackets and long pants shooting skeptical stares their way. Molly, Maggie, and I were dressed relatively warmly with a change of clothes packed for the beach. I guess Sara and Lindsay missed the memo.

When we got to the small town, it was still cold. I unpacked my extra sweater for Sara and Molly leant hers to Lindsay. We couldn’t help but laugh about the less than beachy weather. Giving the rest of the day the benefit of the doubt, we stopped to get some coffee and let the sun burn through the morning clouds. Thankfully, after our coffees, the weather was tip top and sunny! It was a little too breezy on the beach for my taste, but I can’t really complain about spending a day on the beach in Italy.

The beach had soft, light sand and was equipped with an amazing view of the ocean and huge mountains in the distance. We sprawled out and enjoyed soaking up every ray. I have finally found a purpose for my top sheet- a beach blanket! While everyone laid out on their bath towels, I was sitting pretty on my light blue paisley print sheet. I don’t know if you can really call a ghostly pale girl that’s been eating pasta, pizza, and paninis for the last few months “sitting pretty”, but I was comfortable and had tons of room.

The only problem was the creepy, annoying vendors trying to sell tacky sunglasses to us every five minutes. They basically come over, snap you out of your iPod induced beach daze, and blabber something about buying their sunglasses. Really? I’m sitting here with sunglasses on my face, what makes you think I want to downgrade and pluck an uglier pair off your styrofoam board? We probably shooed at least ten of these dingbats away from us throughout the day.

For lunch, we walked up to a little restaurant off the beach and took our seats on the outdoor patio. My Ensalata Primavera was delicious, but Sara didn’t really enjoy her mixed grilled seafood… it was “too alive” and a whole lot of seafood-y texture to swallow.

We headed back to the beach to relax a little longer before heading back to Florence. Everyone had a great time- we got our tan on, took naps, and caught up on some Harry Potter reading on the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment