Friday

EAT, PRAY, LOVE

January 23,

As cliché as it sounds, I thought it was a great idea to watch Eat, Pray, Love on the plane ride to Italy. Maggie said she fell asleep while watching it, but I loved it and found it to be the perfect start to my trip.

What I learned from the movie, and I think what I've been discovering in the months building up to now is: wear what you want, eat what you want, buy what you want, do everything you want- as long as it makes you happy. I am only on this Earth once, and this opportunity will never come again. My uncle, Charlie, told me I will never be the same when I come home. I don't want to be afraid of letting this experience change me. I've been here for maybe twelve hours and I'm already starting to believe him.

I hope I can remember Eat, Pray, Love throughout my travels- especially when my jeans fit a little too closely for comfort. Julia Roberts and her friend decided to throw caution to the wind and “leave no carb behind”! Whether its pizza, or gelato, or pasta don’t worry about the repercussions on your waistline. I’ll will do enough walking to make up for it, and there's always leggings! Just embrace it! Don't waste your time and energy planning every second of your itinerary or counting the calories in your delicious spaghetti.

Also, Julia Robert’s character is taught the "beauty of doing nothing". I hope to find a great place and plan (or I guess not plan) to do nothing- either alone, or with friends. Almost anywhere in Florence is a great place to fill up an afternoon sitting, reading, chatting, or sharing a bottle of wine... or two. I've heard some of the best times have been during the unplanned days spent wandering the city.

Side note, I also watched social network. I don't know how I feel about Mark Zuckerberg, but his business cards are badass. First thing on my list when I graduate: get some "I am the COE, Bitch." business cards. Well first thing is become a CEO, but second is definitely getting some of those cards.

1 comment: