Thursday

Rollinglobe Internship

January 19, 2011

One of my close friends, Katie, studied abroad in Florence last spring. While she was there she interned for the company Rollinglobe, a student oriented travel guide and a great place to find fantastic bars, restaurants, clubs, etc. in cities all over the world. She wrote blogs about her personal experiences traveling and adjusting to the Florentine lifestyle as well as several reviews about the different hot spots in Florence every week. What a gig?! Naturally, I wanted to try and do the same thing. Let me just say, Katie has been fabulous about helping me prepare for Florence. In addition to the five page Word document she sent me, she set me up with all the contacts and information needed to apply for the internship. What a pal.

After a few games of email tag, I had a phone interview with Michael, the president and co-founder of Rollinglobe. It was my first phone interview and I don't think anything could have prepared me for the stress of counting down the minutes until our scheduled phone call. The interview was painless, except for when we said something at the same time, paused to wait for the other person to continue, then when the other person didn't say anything started talking at the same time again. I couldn't help but laugh; thankfully, he did too.

I am really excited to get started with this project! The majority of students working for Rollinglobe are journalism majors sprinkled with marketing and/or public relations majors. I am a Hotel, Restaurant, Tourism Management major. Apples and oranges, ladies and gentlemen. On the bright side, I'll bring a totally different perspective to the table. Other students will be writing because they love to write while I'll be writing because I love what I'm writing about. Thumbs up to both. I've been studying what makes a great business in the hospitality industry for the better part of three years and my high school, Georgetown Visitation, prides itself on five paragraph essays, thesis statements, and grammar. I am pretty confident I can play journalist for a few months... with all that in my back pocket, how hard can it be?

This is a link to my Rollinglobe Page.
http://www.rollinglobe.com/RGWeb/profile/default.aspx?uid=83

No comments:

Post a Comment