Thursday

My Hare Krishna Scare

Sunday, February 13

This Sunday was one of our laziest to date. Molly was in Venice with her parents, while Maggie and I spent the day in bed catching up on One Tree Hill episodes. About five ten episodes in, our O.T.H. marathon was interrupted by loud cheers, drumming, and noise flooding through the bedroom window. Jumping out of bed, I looked down to the street below. Our tiny side street was packed with people. Curiosity got the best of us, and we anxiously got dressed to go check it out. While leaving the apartment, Maggie and I rambled off different guesses as to what it could be. I dreaded the thought that it could be the Hare Krishna going out of control. Those people haunt my nightmares. To say they creep me out would be an understatement.

Downstairs, our piazza had turned into an Italian Zoo packed from cobblestone wall to cobblestone wall. What in the world was going on?! Maggie and I inched our way though groups of people screaming, banging pots and pans, and marching with banners. If our friend Ali hadn't told me it was "a demonstration about how women are perceived in Italy", I still would have no clue. Even the side streets were too crowded to walk through. Maggie and I decided the best thing to do would be grab some coffee and head back up to bed.

Eh, one day in bed isn't the end of the world. In our defense, we have been on the go since we got off the plane. A day of rest was just what the doctor ordered.


THIS JUST IN... Molly just informed me it was women protesting Burlusconi. Oops, my b.

No comments:

Post a Comment