Wednesday

Home, Sweet Home!

January 31,

Home, sweet home! Finally, we are getting our apartment in order- suitcases are unpacked, laundry has been done, and we have started to cook! Due to the lack of space and the excess of clothes we packed, we emptied every drawer and cabinet in the place to file away our wardrobe.
My socks and underwear are currently nestled in two drawers under the twenty-year-old TV. What a pleasant surprise for friends looking for a DVD or remote.
Our close friend Adair has been showing us around and taking us to all the cheap, cool local spots. She took us to The Diner- an American restaurant that serves delicious cheeseburgers, milkshakes, and french fries. They also give customers free pitchers of ice water- something I always took for granted in the US. This place is a godsend when we need a taste of home. If only they served my mom's creamy chicken soup.

Maggie and Molly are getting the city map of Florence down effortlessly. I, on the other hand, am not. This doesn't really surprise me because I didn't know how to get to Bethesda until a few years ago and still ask my friends for directions to get to their houses after years of driving there. Oh well, directions are just not my forte. Thank God for the ten million maps ISA has given each of us.

It’s been a running joke about what each of us brings to the table as roommates. Molly keeps us in the loop with her Google world news articles. I now know not to go to Egypt. Maggie always locks and unlocks the door when we come and go. I cook the meals and can put on liquid eyeliner on everyone. Any time we do something well, we say "see, that's what I bring to the table!"

We have started booking some traveling! Recently, we planned a trip to Interlaken, Switzerland with Adair, some of her friends, and a handful of girls in Kappa Delta and our program. Four nights, three days, night sledding in the Alps, chocolate fondue, and canyon jumping. Enough said. Because of the time difference, I texted my mom at 4am her time to see if I could pay for the trip with her card or if I had to put it on mine. Her response: "Put obn vmy cards bot yoursxox". I took that to mean, "put on my card not yours xox". Clearly, her brain was in sleep mode. Well played, Meghan. Later I got an email saying: "I have noticed that you like to txt me at 4 am in the morning. Is this an accident or do you cleverly time it when my brainfuzz is maxed, like when you would slip your tests in front of me for a signature? smart girl. oh sure put your ticket to Switzerland on my credit card. :)". It really wasn't my intention to catch her brainfuzz maxed out, but my bank account and I can't complain.

Other travel ideas:
A popular DJ is playing in Amsterdam this month; Spain and Portugal have been nominated for Spring Break destinations; Munich for their Springfest; Venice is a possibility for Carnival.

Is this real life?!

No comments:

Post a Comment